The activities of the Foundation include:
- Scientific research in specific thematic fields
- Training and participation in research networks
- Organisation of international conferences and meetings
- Scientific publications
- Institution and capacity building projects
Moreover, a Training Department operates within the structure of the Foundationj, the objective of which is to transfer specialized know-how and new skills to legal practitioners, entrepreneurs and business managers.
The Foundation has been awarded ISO 9001:2008 certification for the services it offers.
Participation in international networks
The Themistocles and Dimitris Tsatsos Foundation – Centre for European Constitutional Law has special consultative status to the Economic and Social Council of the United Nations (ECOSOC) and participates with observer status in activities that fall within its areas of expertise. Among the Foundation’s international activities special focus is put on the UN Convention on the Rights of People with Disabilities and the UN Convention Against Corruption.
The Foundation hosts the National Contact Point of the Fundamental Rights Network (FRANET) coordinated by the European Union Agency on Fundamental Rights (FRA) (since 2007) and conducts extensive research and data collection on fundamental rights. It is also accredited to participate in European Commission Twinning projects.
The Foundation coordinates the Research Group “Constitution-Making and Constitutional Change” of the International Association of Constitutional Law and organizes high level conferences, workshops and publications in Europe and North America. It also manages the Research Group’s blog http://constitutional-change.com/.
The Foundation is a member of the Greek Section of the European Network on the European Social Charter and Social Rights (ANESC) that promotes the implementation of European Social Charter and the protection of social rights in Europe.
Thematic areas of expertise
The main thematic fields of the Foundation’s activities are:
Constitutional institutions, Fundamental rights, Good Governance and Better Regulation
- Fundamental Rights
- Modernization of Public Administration and Local Government
- Regulatory Reform
- Combating Corruption and Organised Crime
Welfare State, Social and Educational Policy
- Employment and Social Security
- Combating Social Exclusion and promoting social inclusion
- Social Welfare
- Health Policy
- Education and vocational training
International and European institutions and policies
- Deepening of European Integration
- Competition and Internal Market
- Justice and Home Affairs
- Equality and non-discrimination
- Environment and Sustainable Development
Specialised research Units
Four specialised units operate within the structure of the Foundation, namely:
- The Unit for Better Regulation: The aim of the Unit for Better Regulation is to perform theoretical and applied research in the field of Better Regulation (regulatory impact assessment, simplification of administrative procedures, codification of legislation, measurement of administrative burdens, application of the standard cost model, public consultations etc.).
- The Educational Policy Unit: The activities of the educational policy unit are focused on the national and international comparative dimension of the organization and administration of educational institutions, in both formal and non-formal education, the link between education and labor market, the fight against social exclusion, the promotion of social integration and the provision of training to the staff of educational institutions.
- The Social Policy Unit: The activities of the social policy unit are focused on the study of the European and international experience in the field of social policy, their interdisciplinary approach and the formulation of valid policy proposals.
- Justice Reform Unit: The objective of the Unit is to contribute to the quality of the function of the judicial system by investigating the problems and the required reforms, as well as studying the international experience in this field.